Fresh Garland Tips
This is a magical time of year and one of my favorite ways to add holiday cheer to our house is using fresh garland. Yes, it takes a little more time and tender care, but I love the natural texture it adds inside and outside of our home. Not to mention the smell of Winter!
I have a few tips below to help with preserving for longer than 2 weeks. Hope you find it helpful. 😊
1. I have always found Costco to have the best deal on fresh garland. Currently they have 25’ for $16.99 here in Seattle. It may vary depending on where you live and you can order Costco online with this link… or you can also order this one on Amazon
2. Soak the garland strands for 24 hours. I use our bathtub, kind of funny, but it works. Or you could use a large bin in your garage or somewhere out of sight.
3. Let it dry atleast 12-24 hours. You certainly don’t want it dripping while you install it!
4. Once dry you will spray both sides of the garland with a protective coating spray. I found this one on Amazon. https://rstyle.me/cz-n/dvke7achzf7
5. Let it dry again.
6. Now the fun part… hanging and dressing the garland.
7. Spray daily or every other day with a water mister. Here is one that I use. https://rstyle.me/+k7VT4su6N1-6CwIXRryZMQ
Classic Door Frame Style –
For our single door frame I used 3 nails. One at each top corner and the top middle. I used two 9’ garland pieces to create this look.
I love this #hearthandhand Magnolia faux wreath with bells. It is so realistic and adorable. https://rstyle.me/+tzg_0VqQWt61pjP1bmnbOw
Swoop Garland Style–
With this look you swag your garland on one side dominant and allow it to naturally fall on the other side. This is not supposed to be symmetrical.
I used a 15’ garland for this door way entrance. And just like the other one I used nails on top to put up the garland and zip-ties to add some faux boxwood garland and lambs ear sprigs. You barely notice them… but it adds some extra depth to the garland on top.
Mantel Style –
This year I added a 9’ fresh garland on our living room fireplace mantel. I swaged on the left side of the fireplace. I then added some faux eucalyptus garland pieces and inter-twined them in the fresh garland… to avoid seeing the plastic stems.
Wishing you and your family a blessed Holiday season and hope you feel inspired to take some of the great outdoors inside. Creating beauty out of God’s creation is what inspires me to do what I do. I don’t style or design just for the sake of it… I hope it will bring peace and joy to others.
Check out my other recent posts!
Hi, I’m Stephanie!
Wife. Mother of 4. Designer. Sharing styling inspiration and home decor tips. Thank you for stopping by, and please say hi if you have any feedback!
Sign up for our email list and we will send you and update each time we post. This is the best way to keep up to date on what I’m working on!